Friday, October 30, 2009

I Northern Spy with My Little Apple of My Eye-Phone Pie

Picture taken by an I-phone taking a picture of an I-phone taking a picture of an I-phone taking a picture of a Northern Spy Apple of My Eye Pie

Northern Spies are my favorite baking apple. I picked up a few of them at Hardeman's Orchard in Red Hook, NY for this pie made for last weekend's Saturday night dinner in the Rokeby back kitchen. I used this basic recipe:

APPLE PIE:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

For filling, combine:
8 good size apples, cored and cut into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch pieces.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used syrup tapped last year by Marina and Lou from Rokeby maples)
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
3 tablespoon corn starch
I added a dash of vanilla extract, as M&L had some homemade with vodka and fresh vanilla beans.

Using the crust recipe at left, roll out crust and place in greased and floured pie dish. Spoon in filling and top with top crust, fluting edges and adding a crust design (EYE!). Brush on an egg wash (Shoving Leopard Farm fresh egg!) and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top. Put the pie in the oven, 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer. Filling will bubble and crust will be golden brown when finished.
Apple of my eye!
Plate lickers in the PEZ!

3 comments:

Mandy F said...

Ms. Thole - I think this post makes Jamie the #1 most featured pie eater on this blog. 4Realz he knows where to be and when.

emily said...

HA! Or maybe he just knows how to lick a plate.

brodie said...

eye and i pie, rastafari phone photo...stacy makin one as i type this out!


Cranberry Chess Pie

Fig Pistachio Tarte Tatin

Peppermint Pattie Tart

Whiskey & Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake

Blog Archive